As the year ends, let’s look back at the Top Posts of 2013!
I know, I know. It’s a little cliche. But it’s the last day of 2013 and I couldn’t help myself – I enjoyed looking through my stats from the last year, seeing what was popular with y’all. So I figured…maybe some of you would like to see too? Plus, there are some great posts some of you might have missed. So I sorted my top posts into three categories: most popular by views, most popular by feedback, and my personal favorites! So have a look around, discover your new favorites, and enjoy!
Top Ten Most Viewed Posts:
1) Healthy Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes – These pancakes are the most popular recipe almost every day here on OvertimeCook. They’ve been featured in a gazillion places, tried by a bazillion people, and pinned a whole ton of times. And for good reason! If you want a yummy weekend breakfast that won’t leave you feeling guilty in the calorie department, try these!
2) Healthy Crockpot Turkey Meatballs – Don’t you just love crockpot suppers? Put it up in the morning, come home to a hot meal…what’s not to love? Well these meatballs have been steadily popular throughout the year, probably because the only thing better than a delectable crockpot supper is a healthy and delectable crockpot supper!
3) No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Mousse Cups – These are a party favorite among my family and friends, and definitely among you folks too! This recipe is light and fresh and just plain heavenly! It’s pretty too, which makes it a perfect party dessert.
4) Spicy Baked Zucchini Sticks – Ok, these are one of my favorite recipes, and the first recipe here on the blog to “go viral” of sorts. It’s been made by so many of you – and for good reason! When you’re on a diet, spicy foods like this one will help make sure you don’t miss the calories!
5) Mini Red Velvet Bundt Cakes with Cream Cheese Glaze – These are gorgeous enough to put them into the ranks of top recipes, and who doesn’t love a great new bundt cake recipe?
6) Mini Brownie Bites with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – Mini food = awesome. Brownies = awesome. Peanut butter = awesome. Add it all up and you have a gorgeous little dessert that’s awesome in all kinds of ways! These are my go-to treat for a dessert table.
7) Neapolitan Zebra Cheesecake – Pretty much everyone who sees this cheesecake decides they have to make it! And when you taste it, you know it was worth the extra bit of effort required to make the most impressive dessert ever.
8) Quinoa and Spinach Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms – This is a great appetizer that’s gluten free and pretty healthy, but it’s still really tasty! (Honestly though, this is the one recipe I was surprised to see on the top of the list, because I haven’t gotten much feedback on it. So if you made it, I’d love to hear from you!)
9) Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Marshmallow Frosting – These cupcakes started out on the cover of the magazine I write for, then I posted them on the blog and they totally took off! Sweet potato gives the cupcakes the most amazing texture, plus their flavor combined with all of the spices makes for a really tempting treat. (Of course, they are just plain gorgeous, so that sure helps!)
10) Homemade Iced Mochaccino – How many times did you fork over 5 or more bucks for a drink just like this in a cafe or restaurant? So how awesome is it to make my copycat version at home for a fraction of that?
Top Ten Most Popular Posts Based on Reader Feedback:
1) Pretzel crusted chicken fingers – In terms of feedback, I think this is probably the most popular post I’ve ever put up on the blog. These chicken fingers might not be totally revolutionary, but they are totally yummy, they are baked, not fried, and they are simply an amazing crowd pleaser. It’s my family’s favorite, and I know so many of you feel the same!
2) Healthy Mock Breaded Cauliflower – If you crave breaded and deep fried veggies (aka the way to make healthy veggies not healthy), this recipe is the closest you’ll come without the huge heap of calories!
3) Hot Gooey Caramel Pie – Shouldn’t the name alone be enough to convince you to make them? Imagine the best part about chocolate chip cookies, blondies and cheesecake – now put it all together in a pie….good…you’re getting the idea.
4) Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes – This is a quick and easy side dish that is completely addictive! So many of you have told me that this is your favorite way to cook sweet potatoes…that makes me so happy to hear!
5) Chunky Vegetable Soup – Comfort food in a bowl. Seriously, that’s how I would describe this soup. It’s thick and hearty, filling, and just plain delectable. So many people have mentioned that their veggie hating family members have licked their bowls clean.
6) Pastrami Stuffed Shells – I started to get feedback on this recipe from about half an hour after I posted the recipe, and I haven’t stopped since. So many of you have made – and loved – these shells. They are a great recipe that works for an appetizer, side or main!
7) Roasted Jalapeno Dip – So many of you have started putting this recipe on your weekly Shabbat menu, and I totally am thrilled about that. I’ll admit that I don’t love jalapeno, but I make it for my guests and they always enjoy it.
8) Dijon Roasted Broccoli – This is a great side dish that’s super easy to make, and it’s really not bad for you, which explains why it’s been a reader favorite all year!
9) Zebra Bundt Cake – Like I mentioned before, everyone loves a good bundt. This one tastes great, but it’s pretty and impressive looking, which makes it a favorite when people are having guests.
10) Marbled Pumpkin Bundt Cake – Pumpkin sure is popular, and this is another bundt that everyone loves! Chocolate and pumpkin are a fabulous combination, plus that glaze is to die for!
Top Ten of My Personal Favorite Posts:
1) Citrus Shallot Salad Dressing – This is probably the recipe I use most often from this blog. I customize it in various ways – often leaving out the orange juice and/or honey, subbing splenda as needed. I sometimes add in minced onions (from a package, shhh) instead of the shallots to make it easier.
2) Spicy Carrot Chips – Ever since I started my new diet, I’ve been enjoying them multiple times a week. Carrots are free on my diet, and the spicy, salty, slightly crispy texture helps me with my salty snack cravings.
3) Roasted Red Pepper Soup – Seriously people, this soup is all kinds of awesome. Basically, every time red peppers are on sale at my grocery store, I make this soup!
4) Garlic and Shallot Topped Smashed Potatoes These potatoes are probably my personal favorite potato recipe. They’re all kinds of awesome, and not too much work is required to make these. If you haven’t tried them, get on it. No jokes.
5) Marinated Tri-Color Pepper Salad Another favorite of mine for any time that peppers are on sale – this salad is even better the next day…how many salads can you say that about?
6) Raspberry Zinger Vinaigrette This salad dressing is different in the best possible way! It’s got a great sweetness to it that makes it a perfect accompaniment to a lettuce salad featuring fruits and nuts – preferably candied. I make this for pretty much all special occasions.
7) Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken This chicken is really simple, but it’s my go-to when I need a quick and easy chicken to eat hot, or to cut up and serve in a salad.
8) Honey Glazed Garlic Ginger Snow Peas One of my favorite veggie sides, this recipe is seriously delectable. I love recipes that basically involve tossing vegetables with some flavorings and roasting them. Parchment paper underneath and you’ve got pretty much no cleanup.
9) Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies – You all know I love cookies. I also love chocolate. And peanut butter. This recipe combines them all in the most glorious way!
10) Maple Sandwich Cookies – I don’t really know how to describe how good these cookies are, but the taste is amazing, and the texture is just plain magical.
Thanks for stopping by! 2013 was an amazing year – let’s hope that 2014 is just as good – and better! Make sure to come back soon for some more deliciousness! -Miriam PS: Did you enter my double giveaway? I’m giving 2 of you a chance to win a month on Start Fresh!