Coffee Crinkle Cookies

These coffee crinkle cookies have no butter or margarine, but they do have an incredible texture and they’re packed with flavor!

coffee crinkle cookies on OvertimeCook

Have we discussed recently just how much I adore coffee? Seriously, I like to say that it’s coffee running through my veins – not blood. And while part of what I love about my beloved coffee is the caffeine, the buzz, the liquid energy, I also love the flavor.

No, I really do. So much so, in fact, that I’ve even had decaf coffee a couple of times in my life. I know, crazy, right? But what can I say, coffee is just so awesome.

So. Naturally, for a flavor this good, this beloved, I needed to come up with a rocking cookie…because, cookie.

And boy did I come up with a winner here! These cookies are full of flavor, they’ve got the most amazingly soft and chewy texture, and best of all…no butter or margarine! Sounds too good to be true? It almost is, but I’ve done it. Oil based cookies that will rock your world.

I understand if you’re a little skeptical. Go ahead and try them. I’ll wait here for you to thank me later.

coffee crinkle cookies on OvertimeCook

Coffee Crinkle Cookies {Without Margarine!}

By Miriam Pascal, OvertimeCook.Com

Originally Published in my column in Ami Magazine

Instructions:

1 cup oil

1 cup brown sugar

½ cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon instant coffee (powder) dissolved in

2 Tablespoons boiling water

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 eggs

2 ⅔ cups flour

¾ cup conf sugar for rolling

optional granulated sugar for rolling

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the oil, brown and granulated sugar for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract, coffee, and baking soda. Beat to combine.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well until creamy and smooth after each addition.

Add the flour and beat until just combined. If the dough is too loose to scoop at this point, refrigerate it for an hour or two before continuing.

Scoop the dough using a medium cooking scoop, then drop it into the granulated sugar. Roll to coat evenly. Next, roll the ball of dough in the powdered sugar and roll until evenly and fully coated. Place on the tray and repeat until all dough has been used. Leave plenty of room for cookies to spread.

Bake cookies at 350 for 9-10 minutes, until the tops are set.

Note: if you don’t want to roll the cookies in the granulated sugar, they will be fine, but the powdered sugar won’t show up much.

coffee crinkle cookies on OvertimeCook

Thanks for stopping by – and please try these cookies! And come back soon, as always, for more delicious food! -Miriam PS: have you liked my page on Facebook yet? I’ve been sharing great pictures and interesting info there!

Comments

1. says

i love coffee & coffee flavored everything, so can’t wait to try these. i will have to add chocolate chips to half the batter as my husband is a chocoholic & loves coffee. thanks for the recipe!

2. Jenny zelcer says

I think you’ve not transcribed the ingredients correctly. I am left with a goopy runny mess for a dough and there is no way these are scoopable. I’ve put it into the frig and hopefully if they set a little I can follow the rest of the recipe for “snowball” cookies. Then these might turn out.

• overtimecook says

Once you roll them in sugar the texture should be easier. It definitely is a looser dough than average cookies.

• Bee says

I also had a very hard time with the dough. I had to add flour because otherwise I could not work with the dough. I know crinkle cookie dough typically is more runny but the way it was I could not work with it. They came out looking nice but my taster said the added flour took away from the taste (although the batter was yummy!)

3. says

I am also a coffee lover. These cookies look fabulous and I will be making them ASAP! I made some chocolate cookies with olive oil for Chanukah and was amazed at the great things oil does for the texture of a cookie! I have been searching for recipes using oil ever since! Thanks, Miriam!

4. Ahuva says

I just made these this morning and they came out perfectly! My (very cold!) house smells amazing. Yes, it is a bit of a runnier dough and they first few were a little soft and hard to roll, but for some reason, it did get easier as I went on. SO nice to have a pretty cookie without all the margarine- thanks!

5. says

These sound so good… and on the list of possibilities to bake tonight.
    I am a coffee addict as well, however I never have instant granules lying around. When I was in college I made a coffee cupcake and had to go door to door in my dorm (say that 5 times fast) to find someone who had instant coffee.

Do you know any way around using instant coffee? One time I used a few tablespoons of strong brewed coffee, but it lacked coffee flavor. Any tips you may know?

Anyways, these sound great and can’t wait to try them!

6. Renee says

Just made these cookies. Prepared the dough in advance and refrigerated it. Rolled the dough in both sugars. Yum!

7. Renee says

I made these cookies tonight. I made the dough in advance an chilled it in the refrigerator. I rolled the dough in both sugars. They were yummy!

8. Eliana G says

Any ideas for how to adapt these to make them chocolate (or another flavor besides coffee)? they sound great, but I don’t like coffee :(

9. says

I have coffee running through my veins too and love the taste of coffee, not just one of those people who covers it up with sugar just for the energy boost. But I think I’m more of a snob than you because decaf coffee doesn’t taste good to me. I also bring my own coffee from home because we have bad tasting coffee at work sooooo…. :) I need to make and take these cookies to work!

10. Miriam says

Yum yum!! Just made these and they are awesome! I regret not making a double batch! Thanks for another great recipe!