When I originally set out to blog about 2 months of weight loss efforts with Start Fresh, I was worried about it on so many levels, but here I am, blogging about the conclusion of those two months! (And make sure to scroll down for 6 weight loss tips!)
And the final result:
I’m so happy that I chose to share this journey with you. The support I received from all of you, here, on the blog, on facebook, on Instagram, via private email, etc. I’m happy to be down 17 pounds, and I will continue to lose now that this has been completed.
So many of you have shared advice with me, supported me, that I thought it would be nice to share some of what I’ve learned in the last two months.
1) Take it one day at a time: I could never tell myself that I’ll never have another piece of chocolate or another slice of pizza as long as I live. But I can resist today. And tomorrow, I can resist again.
2) Treat yourself within the confines of what you’re allowed: Don’t think that eating healthy means bland, boring or tasteless food. Healthy food can be delicious (I’ve got some great healthy recipes right here on my site!). Find ways to treat yourself, to indulge. Spend an extra few minutes making yourself delicious foods. Buy nicer, more expensive fruits and vegetables when you need a treat. Feeling deprived is a big diet killer.
3) Plan ahead: Don’t get to the point where you are starving, and ready to eat anything and everything in site. Plan ahead. Make soups and freeze them in individual portions. Make meals in your crockpot. Prepare food ahead of time.
4) Shop smart: Find yourself tempted by some of the foods you always have on hand? Try keeping them out of your house. Find yourself craving sweets? Keep delicious fruits on hand. Plan your shopping to make sure that you always have delicious healthy options on hand.
5) Don’t be afraid to live a little: One of the greatest things that Start Fresh diet taught me is that you can indulge on occasion. If you’ve got a special occasion, you can enjoy it. But do it in moderation. Don’t go overboard. Plan what you will indulge in, then go right back to your healthy food.
6) Get support: I never went for the diets that offer support before. I didn’t think I needed them. But my journey with Start Fresh has taught me just how valuable support can be. Whether you get it from family and friends, whether your support comes from a program like Start Fresh which has a teleconference option, or whether you blog about it like me, it’s amazing and valuable. So thank you all for supporting me!
And now, for the huge question – that so many of you have asked:
Will I be staying on Start Fresh now that my time as their official Brand Ambassador is over?
And the answer is a resounding: Yes.
And here’s why.
In the past, I’ve been an all or nothing dieter. Meaning, I either ate whatever I wanted, or I ate really healthy. I had no in-between. And Start Fresh changed all that. Start Fresh taught me that you can indulge in small quantities, that you can have your favorite foods, that you can enjoy a special occasion…but still lose weight and eat healthy.
All or nothing dieting can work. It has for me in the past. But a food blogger who specializes in desserts, who writes a dessert column in a popular magazine…can’t exactly do the whole “all or nothing” diet. And so many of you, my awesome readers, are the same way. All or nothing dieting is hard when you have kids who want to be fed…and they don’t consider “diet food” being fed. It’s hard when you feel deprived and want to feel like you could enjoy a treat now and then.
Start Fresh worked for me, and it will continue to work as I stay on it.
And because I want to share this experience with you, the kind folks at Start Fresh are running a special deal! Be among the first 10 people to sign up for Startfresh.com‘s online program and pay $19.98 for the first month. That’s a savings of 50%! (Visit their site for full terms and conditions.)
Anyhow, thanks again for reading and supporting me. Stay tuned, because I will continue to share healthy recipes as I learn to eat healthy with Start Fresh! -Miriam
Disclosure: I am being compensated by StartFresh as their “Diet ambassador” for my time and efforts. All opinions are and will always be completely mine, and completely honest!