Maple Mustard Roasted Chicken is an easy and flavorful dish!
In case any of you doubted how much I totally love my readers, this recipe should put the doubts to rest. I totally made this chicken for y’all. You people asked me for an easy chicken dish, and this one delivers. It’s so flavorful, so moist, so good…you can’t even imagine. But the best part? This chicken requires 5 minutes of prep time. Maybe less. No jokes.
This is actually an accidental reincarnation of an old family favorite chicken dish. I made this amazing sauce, and sliced up some onions, then a lightbulb went off in my head, and I decided to cook it the same way as my saucy onion chicken. The result was chicken with the amazing melt-in-your-mouth texture my family has always loved, but with the enticing flavors of the maple-mustard sauce I had dreamed up.
Seriously, just try it. It’s awesome.
- 3 lb cut up chicken
- oil or spray, for frying
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 onions, cut in half rings
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and brown the chicken on both sides. Place the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of a 9x13 (or larger roasting pan).
- Combine the mustard, maple syrup, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk or stir until combined.
- Toss together the sliced onions and sauce until evenly coated.
- Pour the onion mixture over the chicken, completely smothering it.
- Cover the pan tightly and bake for an hour and a half.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-45 minutes, until cooked through and soft.
- If you prefer VERY soft chicken, you can leave it covered the entire time.
- Serve hot.
- This chicken freezes nicely.
Note: if you prefer a more “roasted” texture (rather than soft and saucy) you can uncover the chicken for longer, or even the whole time.
Make sure to serve the chicken alongside some rice, mashed potatoes, or something else to soak up the delicious gravy!
Hope you love this chicken as much as I do! Make sure to come back soon – I have the world’s most awesome hamantaschen twist to share with you! -Miriam