Grilled Corn and Pastrami Salad has an amazing smoky flavor, bringing together all of the best things about summer food!
I’m feeling deja vu here. I know, this recipe is brand new, but I really dreamed it up a while ago. In fact, this salad was the original inspiration for this grilled chicken and corn salad. The recipes both started to run together in my head, what with the whole grilled corn (yum!) thing going on, and it’s kinda confusing. Especially because my head is pretty confusing as it is, with multiple cookie recipes being formulated at any given point too.
But despite the similarities between the recipes, I decided to just go for it and share this one. Mostly because…um, it’s delicious and you need to make it. And grilled corn is amazing but grilled pastrami is to.die.for. Combine them both in a salad and it’s just so good!
While the salad is absolutely delicious thanks to the grilling of fresh corn, you can save time (or make this off season) by using canned corn, or cooking corn under the broiler.
Speaking of grilling, I have to tell you about the amazing grilling tools that OXO, one of my favorite kitchen tools companies, sent me to try out! For this recipe, I particularly loved the amazing tongs they sent (the large size makes flipping the pastrami a breeze!) They also sent me this excellent Corn Stripper, which is a super cool tool that cuts the kernels neatly off of your corn on the cob – perfect for making a salad like this one! Another tool they sent me which I love is this salad dressing container - I love how it has measurements marked on the side, allowing you to make your dressing right in the container! If you’re using OXO grilling tools, make sure to share it on social media using their adorable hashtag, #whatagrillwants!
- 6 ears corn, husks removed
- 6 ounces sliced pastrami
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ red onion or 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup mayo (I used low fat)
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or splenda, optional
- Grill the corn and pastrami over a medium-high flame for about 8-10 minutes for the corn and about 5-7 minutes for the pastrami, flipping both halfway through. Remove from grill and set aside to cool. The corn should be slightly browned on the outside, and the pastrami should be just starting to get crispy.
- When cooled, cut the kernels off of the corn and place in a large bowl. Cut the pastrami in slices and add to the bowl as well. Add the tomato, avocado and shallot/onion.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly.
- Combine all salad ingredients and prepare dressing separately, and mix them together just before serving.
Thanks for stopping by folks! I hope you’ll love this salad – come back soon because I’ve been cooking up a storm and I’ll be sharing it with you! -Miriam P.S. Are you on Instagram? I’d love to connect with you there! I’m @OvertimeCook and I share behind the scenes and sneak peeks of new things coming up. Follow me?
Disclosure: this post contains an affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog. OXO provided me a box of free kitchen tools for use in this post, however, all opinions remain my own.