Purple Cabbage Salad with Maple Vinaigrette is a crowd-pleasing salad that that takes just minutes to make!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group!
Before we move on to this awesome new purple cabbage salad recipe, I need to stop for a minute and acknowledge that 2016 is upon us, and ohmygosh what a year 2015 has been! 2015 will go down in history as the year I wrote my first cookbook, but it’s also been amazing in other ways. I can’t believe how my little blog has grown – not only was it viewed 2.5 million times this year(!!), but just under one million unique visitors have come. That’s such a mind-boggling number to me! Let that sink in for a minute. A million different people have visited my blog and enjoyed my recipes. Through this blog and the community surrounding it, I’ve been privileged to travel all over the country doing demos and classes, and I’ve gotten to know and even meet some amazing people. I can’t wait to see what 2016 has in store for me – and for you – my lovely readers.
But for now, let’s talk about salad. After all, the new year is a great time to eat healthy and discover your new favorite salad recipe, and let me tell you: this. will. be. it. How do I know? Because I first made this salad when my brother and sister-in-law were visiting, and they didn’t just enjoy it, but they wanted the recipe. Sadly, I hadn’t measured when I made it, so I couldn’t share the recipe just then. A couple of weeks later, I was visiting them for shabbos. My sister-in-law called before shabbos and asked me to please, please make the salad dressing for her. Or at least measure it and give her the instructions to make it herself. They loved it, and wanted to make it again. Honestly? I can’t exactly blame them. This salad is awesome.
How could I refuse? It’s such a good feeling when people are really into your recipes!
So here it is. My incredible purple cabbage salad recipe. I know you’ll enjoy it – and keep making it again and again!
Do you receive the Overtime Cook newsletter? Full of recipes, kitchen tips and deals and more!
Click here to signup.
- 16 oz shredded purple cabbage
- 1 granny smith apple, cut in matchstick shape
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped candied pecans
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar - preferably apple cider or red wine
- ¼ cup maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
- 1 Tablespoon dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, apples, scallions and pecans.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, Whisk until smooth and thickened.
- (Alternatively, combine all ingredients in a container and shake until smooth and thick.)
- Pour dressing over salad - you may not need all of it, so start with some and add more as needed.
- Toss until all ingredients are evenly coated. Serve immediately.
- Prepare the dressing a couple of days ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
Note: This dressing is fantastic. You can make extra and use it to dress a lettuce salad too.
Tools Needed for This Recipe:
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks to each and every one of you for visiting, and for making 2015 such a great year! Enjoy this salad – and here’s to great food in 2016! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.