Garlic Basil Steak Salad is a filling meal or elegant appetizer that’s bursting with summer flavor!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group.
Am I the only one who gets…panicky when the summer is almost over? Where did the time go? What happened to my dreams of days in the sun and relaxing at the beach? Summer BBQ’s, farmers markets…all the dreams of wonderful ways to spend the summer, and I find myself sitting inside in my air conditioned office all over again.
Luckily, the summer isn’t over yet, so consider this your official wake up call. Get out there. Do the things you wanted to do. Spend some time in the sun. Host an impromptu barbecue.
And while we’re on the topic of barbecues, this garlic basil steak salad is going to be a serious hit at your next one. But unlike the summer, this steak can be enjoyed all year long. During the summer, grill the steak on your outdoor grill. But during the winter? Go ahead and broil it. Pretend it’s summer. It might be the only chance you get. This recipe has become my go-to for years now, and it’s taken so long for me to finally share it with you. Don’t miss this one folks – you’re going to love it.
Do you receive the Overtime Cook newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips and deals and more!
Click here to signup.
First off, start with some delicious meat:
- 1 Oyster Steak (usually about 12 ounces)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cubes frozen parsley
- 3 cubes frozen basil
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsley chopped OR 3 cubes frozen garlic
- Place all ingredients in a ziplock bag and marinate for a few hours or up to overnight.
- Discard the marinade and grill or broil for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness and size of meat. Let it rest for at least ten minutes before slicing.
Next, turn it into a fabulous salad:
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8-10 ounces salad greens of your choice (I used mixed romaine and mesclun lettuce)
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup corn kernels, either fresh or canned
- 1 garlic basil oyster steak (recipe above), cut in slices or cubes
- ½ cup crispy fried onions (such as french’s)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk or stir until combined. Set aside.
- Combine lettuce, tomato, pepper, avocado and corn in a bowl and toss till everything is distributed. Toss with dressing and set aside. (You may not need all of the dressing - save any extra dressing to use as a dip for challah or veggies.)
- Place some of the salad on each plate. Top with sliced or cubed steak and some crispy fried onions.
Serve this as an appetizer (you’ll be able to serve about six people) or as a main – it’ll serve about 2 that way. You can keep it healthier by leaving out the crispy fried onions and using lite mayo in the dressing. You can also enjoy the steak without the salad – one steak will serve two.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbook!
It also makes a great gift! Click here to purchase Something
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for visiting, and keep enjoying the summer – it ain’t over yet! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.