Citrus Grilled Chicken and Cabbage Salad is an easy, healthy and flavorful dish that you’ll make again and again and again!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group!
Some recipes start with a brilliant idea that I carefully research and develop. Some start when I think hard about recipes using a theme or ingredient. But some recipes, like this one, happen when I have a specific need to fill. Originally I made this recipe when I was hungry and looking for a healthy meal that I could prepare really quickly. And then I continued to make variations of this recipe for….well, years! So when chanukah ended, with a new year right around the corner, I found myself wracking my brains for an easy and healthy recipe to share, and suddenly realized I had never shared this one. Well I owe you guys an apology because you need to be making this, like, once a week. Maybe twice. I won’t judge!
Here are some tips for making this salad in a rush, and changing it up:
- You can skip the marinating time for the chicken and just let it sit in the mixture for a few minutes before grilling.
- You can prepare a whole bunch of this grilled chicken to enjoy whenever you’re in the mood.
- You can use regular (white chicken) cutlets instead of dark (baby chicken).
- You can skip the chicken all together and use sliced turkey breast instead.
- You can skip the chicken and turkey to make a parve salad.
- You can make a big batch of dressing and keep it around for a week or so.
- You can prepare the components of the salad separately and bring it along for an on the go lunch!
What are you waiting for guys? Go to the kitchen and get cookin’!
Do you receive the Overtime Cook newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips and more!
Click here to signup.
- juice of one grapefruit
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one lime
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 6-8 baby chicken cutlets
- 8 ounces shredded purple cabbage
- 16 ounces shredded green cabbage
- 2 baby persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- ½ cup crispy rice noodles or other crunchy item
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Pour half into a bag to use as marinade, and reserve the rest for dressing.
- Add chicken cutlets to bag with marinade. Place in fridge to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- After marinating, discard marinade. Grill chicken over high heat on a hot grill pan for a few minutes per side, until cooked through. Set aside to cool partially, then slice.
- Toss green cabbage, red cabbage and desired amount of dressing*(see note) in a large bowl. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until cabbage is softened.
- Just before serving, arrange chicken, cucumbers, shallots, almonds and crispy noodles over the salad, then toss.
- Depending on how well dressing you like your salads, you may not need all of the dressing. You can reserve any extra in the fridge for up to a week.
Are you following @overtimecook on Instagram yet?
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbooks!
They also make a great gift!
Click here to purchase Something Sweet.
Click here to purchase Real Life Kosher Cooking
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for stopping by! I know you’re going to love this recipe! Come back soon for more deliciousness! – Miriam
Disclosure: OvertimeCook.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com