Thick, filling and hearty, this Butternut Squash Tomato soup is great winter comfort food.
***Before we start – have you signed up for my email newsletters? You’ll get new recipes, cooking tips, menu suggestions, kitchen deals – and more! Click here to signup.***
Looking to start 2015 off with some healthy recipes?
Looking for warm, comforting recipes to get you through the cold winter?
Looking for easy recipes that taste great?
Love soups of any sort?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, I’m here with your new favorite recipe: Butternut Squash Tomato Soup.
So, we’ve been through this before: I. Love. Soups. I know it’s not a new story, which is why it’s kinda funny that I haven’t shared a new soup recipe here in forever.
The slightly surprising combination of ingredients in this are the brainchild of my mom, who kind of invented Butternut Squash Tomato Soup kinda by accident…with shabbos leftovers. But it was a huge hit, and she’s made it many times since. I decided that this cold spell means it’s about time I share a new soup recipe with you guys…so here you go! I hope you love it as much as my family did.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, peeled and finely diced
- 1½ lb diced butternut squash (I used frozen)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sweetener, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sautee for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the butternut squash and continue to sautee for about 15-20 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer on a low flame for about 45-60 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve hot.
Tools needed for this recipe:
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love:
Thanks for stopping by folks! Stay warm – and come back soon for more yummy food. -Miriam
Make sure to follow me on your preferred social media channels to stay updated!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate link(s), which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.