If we’re friends in real life, or even if you’ve ever spent any time with me, there’s a very good chance you’re already aware of this. For the rest of you, here’s something important to know about me: I have a serious popcorn addiction. I know, I know. It’s not the worst kind of addiction. It could be drugs or alcohol, or even candy bars. So…I don’t really work too hard to deal with my popcorn cravings…I just keep feeding it.
Lately, I’ve become (by mistake) a popcorn snob. Microwave popcorn? Nope. Packaged stuff? No way. I’ll buy the store bought stuff, but only when it’s the kind that’s popped and bagged fresh in the store. And trust me – I know exactly which stores in my neighborhood make their popcorn right, and which don’t.
But really, there’s nothing in the world that’s easier than making it yourself. Do you have a pot with a lid? Good, then you’re set. Lately, I’ve been playing around with the flavors of my homemade popcorn. Why add just salt when you can add all kinds of yummy seasonings, amIright? Well here’s my favorite. The barbecue flavor makes me feel kinda nostalgic, but it’s so much better than what I remember from my childhood!
- 4 teaspoons oil
- ½ cup yellow popcorn kernels
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sweetener, optional
- spray oil (cooking spray) or oil
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Place one popcorn kernel in the pot to test oil for done-ness. When the kernel pops, your oil is hot enough. pour the rest of the kernels into the pot and cover.
- Shake the pot, keeping it covered, to help popcorn pop evenly and prevent any burning.
- When the popping sound slows, remove pot from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, then spray or drizzle oil over it. Toss or shake until all popcorn is evenly coated in spices. If you want, you can spray it again with oil (this helps the spices stick to the popcorn.)
Things needed for this recipe:
Oil sprayer (I love this and use it ALL the time for even distribution of oil!)
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Make sure to follow me on your preferred social media channels to stay updated on all the latest recipes!
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy this popcorn, then come back soon for more delicious food! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.