***Before we start – have you signed up for my email newsletters? You’ll get new recipes, cooking tips, menu suggestions, kitchen deals – and more! Click here to signup.***
Firstly, thank you all for your lovely and supportive comments on my last post! My power is back on and I’m back in the kitchen and appreciating and loving every single minute of it.
Now let’s talk about elections. I’m totally not political. I found this on Pinterest and it completely describes my feelings about today:
So. I didn’t vote, but I did make pancakes. Not just any pancakes, but healthy pancakes. With pumpkin and all kinds of awesome spices and things. Oh and there’s oatmeal in them, so they have negative calories, I think. Or something like that. So regardless of who wins the election, and whether you’re happy about the result or not, you can totally be happy when you make these pancakes. And happier when you finish eating them, because you did something good and healthy for yourself.
*Edited on 12/18 with improvements to recipe!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats (old fashioned)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup sweetener or sugar (12 Splenda packets)
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup milk (skim works)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oatmeal, baking power, spices and Splenda or sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spray the pan well with Pam, or use a small amount of oil. When the pan is hot enough, spoon some of the batter onto the frying pan and spread it slightly into a circle.
- When the pancakes are set on top, flip it and fry for a couple of minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, agave syrup or sugar free maple syrup and a sprinkling of chopped toasted pecans.
Love pumpkin? Try these other delicious pumpkin recipes:
Hope everyone is ok and getting their lives back to normal after Sandy! If you’re bored of my diet recipes, stay tuned, because I’ve got a fabulous treat coming up for you soon. And a surprise treat! -Miriam
Linking to Shine Supper Club