At long last, it’s finally here: Something Sweet Cookbook by me, Miriam Pascal.
Wow…it’s been a long couple of months for me, and I’m so excited to finally introduce my baby, my project:
Something Sweet: Desserts, Baked Goods and Treats for Every Occasion.
Published by ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications | Release Date: 08/28/15 | List price: $27.99
Want to know more?
Note: This post is super long. If you want to skip the details you can click here instructions on how to pre-order the book and get a signed copy and exclusive savings!
Ok, let’s start at the beginning.
When I first set out to write a sweet cookbook, I had a very specific goal. I wanted to make sure that it would be the ultimate dessert cookbook. I know, I know. It sounds crazy ambitious. But that’s how I’ve always been. When I do something, I jump in and do it all the way.
So here were my goals for my cookbook:
1) I wanted it to contain all of the “basic” recipes that you might find yourself looking for. (Think Fudgy Brownies, Ultimate Vanilla Bundt Cake, Chocolate Cupcakes and Chocolate Chip Cookies.)
2) I wanted to balance the “basic” recipes with lots of cool and innovative new recipes. (Think Chocolate Cheesecake Pinwheel Cookies, Maple Bourbon Milkshakes, S’mores Crumb Cake, Rice Krispie Treat Truffles and Pomegranate Cupcakes.)
3) I wanted to make sure you’d have sweet treats for every occasion. Kid-friendly cookies to bake with the kids? Try Fruity Pebbles Cookies. Need a quick-and-easy-dessert that you can whip up in less than five minutes? You’ll love my Chocolate Chip Peanut Pie. Need an elegant dessert to serve after a sheva brachos? You have got to try my Pecan Pie Cigars (complete with plating suggestions!). If you’re looking to send something over to a simcha, Praline Mousse Cannoli are going to hit the spot! Get the point? I can’t tell you how much time and effort I put into thinking about every possible occasion, to make sure said occasion was covered. I bugged friends, messaged readers, really thought about everything I could!
4) I wanted to make sure I incorporated readers’ requests into my cookbook. The main request was: “can you please include recipes without margarine?” Well my friends, I am very happy to tell you that the vast majority of my book (close to 90%!) is margarine-free! The few recipes that do contain margarine really need it for the texture, and a number of them offer a margarine-free option. All in all, if you don’t use margarine, you’ll be very happy with the selection in this book! The second big request was for recipes that are health conscious and allergy friendly. While this is by no means a healthy cookbook, I really tried hard to have at least something for everyone. Healthy muffins? Check. Healthy Chocolate Rugelach? Check. Egg-Free Chocolate Mousse? Check. Flourless Fudge Cookies? Check. And more!
5) I wanted my book to be more than a recipe book – I wanted to make sure it would be a resource to cooks. So not only does it include a ton of recipes for sweet treats, but I tried to give lots of information as well. For starters every recipe in the entire book has detailed plan ahead instructions – telling you if the recipe can be frozen, and if so, how to freeze and defrost it. I also included a holiday guide, where I give ideas and recipes for all of the Jewish holidays, as well as ideas for fancy plated desserts. I also added a party guide, where I teamed up with Chavi Chase of Pret a Parte to give you tips on setting up a beautiful dessert table, as well as ideas for miniatures and treats to use at your next party. I also included a baking guide where I give lots of info on various kitchen tools (such as a microplane zester and the different mixer attachments), baking ingredients (such as the difference between dark or light brown sugar, or dutch process or regular cocoa), and substitutions (such as how to make buttermilk or non-dairy buttermilk, or how to make brown sugar when you’re out). I worked so hard to give a TON of information, so it will be easier for you to bake and have success in the kitchen.
6) I’m a very visual person, and it was super important to me to have a visually beautiful book. Not only do I have a photo for every recipe, but I have a beautiful and clear page layout, easy-to-read fonts, and more. I can’t wait for you all to see the photos that I worked so hard to style and shoot!
7) Finally, and most importantly, I created this book to be practical. As much as I wanted it to be beautiful and eye-catching, this is not intended to be a book that will sit on your shelf and get looked at every now and then, but rather, a book that will get used all the time. A book that will have flour between the pages and batter stains on others. A book that will become your go-to favorite when you need to make something sweet.
And now for the big question that so many of you have been asking: Are the recipes in Something Sweet all found on your blog or in your magazine column? And the answer is a big resounding NO! I did include a number of my most popular recipes from my blog and Ami, including Hot Gooey Caramel Pie, Strawberries and Cream Bundt Cake and Chocolate Chunk Chocolate Cookies. But the majority of the book – well over 80 recipes – are BRAND NEW! Yep, never-seen, totally new recipes. And the ones that you have seen? I’ve taken new photos, revamped and improved many of the recipes, and given them a whole new look.
Here’s how the book is divided:
Chapter 1: Cookies and Bars
This includes some viral favorites such as my amazing Chocolate Chunk Chocolate Cookies (you’ll recognize those from Ami Magazine), some elegant cookies like these Chocolate Cheesecake Pinwheel Cookies (don’t worry – there’s a non-dairy option), some reader-requests like these No Margarine Sugar Cookies (but the texture? Perfection!) and some everyday (but still delicious!) cookies like these Trail-Mix Oatmeal Cookies. Best of all? NONE of the recipes above use margarine! See how well I listen?
Chapter 2: Cakes and Cupcakes
This chapter features easy, one bowl bundts like this Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake, Fun and different cupcakes like these Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes, reader favorites like this Strawberries and Cream Bundt Cake (my first recipe to ever go viral!), and even a beautiful and show stopping Chocolate Celebration Cake!
Chapter 3: Muffins and Pastries
In this section, I include some basic (but incredible) recipes like my Grandma’s Sweet Yeast Dough (no jokes – this is the most incredible texture I’ve ever encountered), some twists on old favorites like Cinnamon Cheese Buns (think of it as a cross between a cinnamon roll and a cheese bun – and it’s even better than you’re imagining), a bunch of lightened-up recipes like these Healthy Chocolate Rugelach (they’re whole wheat and sugar free, but still so good!) and these incredibly delicious, totally versatile Fruit Crumb Muffins with varieties for every taste and season.
Chapter 4: Pies and Tarts
In this chapter, I offer amazing varieties of pies and tarts – both in homemade crusts and store-bought varieties. I offer a base recipe of pie crust – but I gave you two variations! One has margarine and the other does not! I also offer super-easy pies like this Chocolate Chip Peanut Pie (your new favorite, trust me). There are a variety of shapes of pies, including a personal favorite, hand pies (how gorgeous!) plus amazing Salted Chocolate Tartlets (with a to-die-for shortbread crust).
Chapter 5: Desserts and Party Treats
This is the chapter where you get all kinds of gorgeous plated desserts, plus treats and miniatures for a party. I included reader requests like this Egg-Free Chocolate Mousse, gorgeous Edible Cookie Cups which will dress up a variety of sorbets, mousses and ice cream (recipes included, of course!). I’ve also included lighter treats like these Healthy Summer Fruit Crumbles, and indulgent desserts like Cookies ‘n Cream Stuffed Waffles!
Chapter 6: Candy and Chocolate
This chapter has the fun – and totally indulgent – stuff! I included some fun treats like Homemade Caramel Popcorn (you won’t believe how easy it is to make!), some seriously decadent stuff like Chewy Sea Salt Caramels (you have to try them to understand how perfectly amazing they are) and authentic Chocolate Truffles (last photo – the best you’ll ever eat!). You’ll also find adorable, gorgeous and totally delicious favorites like these Rice Krispy Treat Truffles – I even included two different flavor varieties – because I love you guys (but you already knew that!).
Chapter 7: Drinks and Frozen Treats
Here’s the section where I had some fun and moved away from the traditional “dessert” type of recipe. I included some amazing fruit drinks (great with – or without! – alcohol!), some easy sorbet recipes (no ice cream maker needed!), a bunch of milkshake recipes (no biggie or anything, but that front one – Maple Bourbon Milkshake – might just be the greatest thing I’ve ever made. Ever.) and some hot drinks like coffee drinks and this Orange Hot Chocolate. I just made myself thirsty.
Chapter 8: Frostings and Glazes
When I said that I wanted this cookbook to be practical, I seriously mean it. That’s where this chapter comes in. The recipes here aren’t “stand-alone” recipes, but they complete everything else and give you options. Want a frosting recipe? I’ve got a bunch of them for you! Looking for a glaze? I’ve got all the recipes you’ll ever need. Royal icing? Yep, I’ve got a step-by-step guide! I’ve also got (not pictured) sauce recipes to take your desserts up to the next level.
This is just a taste – a small sampling – of the recipes you’ll enjoy in this book. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a total novice, I really tried hard to make sure you’re going to enjoy this cookbook and find your new favorites. I’ve included a good variety of basic staples and innovative new ideas. But most of all? I’ve included my heart and soul. I put the better part of a year into this cookbook – living, breathing – even dreaming – Something Sweet. I really hope that when you’ll pick it up and read through it, and bake with me in your kitchen, you’ll get the feeling strongly.
Excited to see it?! Me too!! Here’s how you can get a signed copy!
To get a signed copy, pre-order Something Sweet from ArtScroll – the kind folks at ArtScroll were kind enough to work out a special offer for my readers, where
1) You get free shipping (in the USA) and 2) You’ll get your copy SIGNED by me!
To get this offer: simply place Something Sweet into your cart and enter promo code OTC at checkout and that will tell them to pull your copy aside and have me sign it.
If you don’t want your copy signed, you can also pre-order from Amazon with their pre-order price guarantee, so if they drop the price or run a sale between now and the release date, you’ll automatically get their lowest price!
You can also wait and pick one up in your local store, they should have them in stock by the end of August – but make sure to go in there and tell them how excited you are to get a copy, so they’ll be sure to bring plenty of books in!
For those of you who’ve asked about getting copies internationally, there’s good news there too! My publisher has international distributors in a number of international locations, including Israel, Europe, Australia and South Africa, so you’ll be able to find Something Sweet in stores there as well. ArtScroll also ships internationally if you order direct from their website (You won’t get free shipping, but I can still sign your copy!).
I’m trying to work out a launch party/demo/tasting/book signing in the New York area as well, so stay tuned on that.
Want a sample recipe? Stay tuned, because I’m going to be sharing one of my favorites from the book soon – right here on the blog! I’m also going to offer some giveaways – here and on my social media – so make sure to follow all of it!
Any questions that I didn’t cover? Ask in the comments below!
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this loooong post, and for supporting me and my blog from the very beginning! Please order a copy (or six;) then come back here soon for a sample recipe to keep you going while you wait for the release date! Love you guys! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.