Healthy Gingerbread Pancakes with Caramelized Apple Topping are the perfect comfort food breakfast recipe!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group. Click here to join the conversation.
So. We’re almost two weeks into 2017…how’s the new year treating you guys? Me? Well, I don’t even know. Life has been incredibly hectic lately, and I’ve barely had a minute to breathe, let alone reflect on 2017. [Not to be too much of a tease here, but I’m so excited to tell you about some exciting new projects that are keeping me so busy.]
I dunno about you guys, but when I am insanely busy (and let’s have some real talk here: eating take out) I crave warm, comforting, homemade food. Top of my list is breakfast (or brunch!) foods. You guys know by now how much I love things like pancakes and waffles, and I’m so excited to share this amazing flavor of pancakes with you guys. And the good news? If you’re sticking to New Year’s resolutions of eating healthy, these are on the healthier side. And if you’re crazy busy like I am? These pancakes are easy to whip up! So either way, you’re going to want to whip up a batch ASAP.
Oh, and if you’re not really looking to eat so healthy, you can skip the caramelized apple topping, and make some cream cheese glaze instead. Trust me.
Do you receive the Overtime Cook newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips and deals and more!
Click here to signup.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 6 Tablespoons oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk or soy milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and stir until a smooth batter is formed.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spray pan with oil, then spoon a large spoonful of batter onto it. Fry for about a minute or two, until you see bubbles forming on the top of the pancake. Carefully flip and fry for an additional minute, until cooked through.
You can stop here (add some maple syrup or honey for serving), or you can make this incredibly delicious topping…
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon bourbon OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until liquid has thickened.
- Serve immediately, over pancakes.
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbook!
It also makes a great gift! Click here to purchase Something
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for visiting guys! Enjoy these pancakes! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.