Grilled Chicken and Portobello Wraps with Garlic Mayo are a healthy supper that’s easy to make and delicious to eat!
So you might have guessed, based on the (in)frequency of posts lately that I’ve been crazy busy.
Nothing new for me, you say? Well sadly, I’ve found myself the kind of busy where I am cooking less frequently than usual. And that means…eating or ordering out. Not the best option when you’re dieting, but one of the more diet friendly options you can usually find is a grilled chicken wrap.
Problem is, no matter how healthy they say it is, you just know there’s gonna be hidden calories all over the place, right?
Second problem, it’s painful to pay a restaurant to make me a wrap when I can make one myself…that’s so much better…for so much cheaper! Oh, did I mention it takes minutes to whip these up?
Here’s my favorite way to make wraps – grilled chicken and portobello wraps – but you can totally switch it up. Change the mushrooms for other vegetables – like slices of pepper, zucchini, red onion, or whatever else you have on hand. Switch the garlic mayo (recipe follows) for honey mustard dressing (recipe here), creamy basil dressing (recipe here) or even roasted jalapeno dressing (recipe here) if you’re into hot and spicy! And as a bonus, instead of grilling chicken, you can use slices of leftover chicken. Now how’s that for a dream supper?
Does it get better? Yep. This makes an awesome do-ahead lunch too!
- for chicken and mushroom filling:
- 4-6 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 large onion
- 4 chicken breasts (1½ – 2 pounds total)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- for garlic mayo:
- ½ cup (lite) mayo
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar or splenda, optional
- to assemble:
- 4-6 wraps (I use whole wheat)
- To make filling:
- Place the top rack of your oven on the highest notch. Turn on the broiler to high.
- Clean mushrooms and cut into thin strips. Place in a large bowl.
- Peel the onions and cut into half-rings. Add to bowl.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and add to bowl as well.
- Add the oil and spices. Toss gently (to make sure you don’t break the mushroom slices) to coat everything evenly.
- Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the oven under the broiler.
- Broil on high for 15-20 minutes, until everything is cooked through. Stir every 5 minutes or it will burn on top!
- To make the garlic mayo:
- combine all ingredients until smooth.
- To assemble:
- Spread some of the garlic mayo in the center of a wrap. Top with some lettuce.
- Place some of the chicken/mushroom mixture on top of the lettuce.
- Roll the wrap up to seal. (See pictures below.)
- Slice in half and enjoy!
Here’s a picture diagram to help you roll them neatly. Excuse the lousy iPhone photos. And remember, the key to neat wraps is don’t overfill them!
Thanks for stopping by! Don’t kill me but…who’s ready for the purim recipes to start?! -Miriam