Roasted Butternut Squash Orzo Salad with pomegranate seeds and a tangy dressing is the perfect seasonal side dish!
***Have you signed up for email newsletters from Overtime Cook? Don’t miss out – click here to sign up!***
I think I meant to write an introduction to this Roasted Butternut Squash Orzo Salad – all about how it is seasonal, easy to make, and a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving. But when I sit here trying to think of something to say, the only thing that comes to mind is how this salad is insanely satisfying and filling.
Seriously. There’s something about the salty, sweet and spicy flavors of this dish that come together to start a party in your mouth that makes this salad more than just filling and delicious. It’s satisfying. It’s amazing.
Back to that easy thing we discussed? Well for starters, feel free to cheat and use pre-cut butternut squash. I won’t tell anyone. But the best part? Not only can this salad be made ahead, but it’s actually better the next day. Make it now, serve it tomorrow – does it get easier than that?
Oh, and if you’re gluten-free, you’ve got to try this with quinoa. Two words: Awe. Some.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 1 lb orzo, cooked according to package directions
- 3 scallions finely sliced
- Seeds of one large pomegranate
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine cut up butternut squash with oil, honey, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
- Roast at 400 for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Combine cooked, cooled orzo with roasted butternut squash, scallions and pomegranate seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour dressing over salad and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Serve cold or room temperature.
- Salad can be prepared ahead - it's great the next day!
Needed for this recipe:
Cookie Sheet (these are on sale for 50% off as of this posting!)
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love:
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the salad, then come back soon for more delicious treats! – Miriam
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate link(s), which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.