Grilled Chicken and Grapefruit Salad is loaded with savory, tart and sweet flavors – making the perfect healthy meal!
It’s time to talk about grapefruits, guys. You all know I have my favorites when it comes to food, and grapefruits is top of the list. If it’s winter, you’re pretty much guaranteed to find a grapefruit or three in my refrigerator. That’s why I’m super excited to tell you all about Florida Grapefruits.
I could tell you all kinds of useful things about grapefruits from Florida. Like how they are at their sweetest and most juicy just when other fruits are out of season – between the months of January and March. I could also tell you about how grapefruits make a really healthy snack – with lots of nutrients and vitamin C. Or I could tell you about how the climate in Florida can affect the outside of the grapefruit, making it look (not taste!) less attractive than other grapefruits. But the most important thing that you’ve got to know is that Florida grapefruits are simply the most sweet and juicy kind – and that I love them. Really. After reading up on Florida grapefruits, I went to look at the bag of my best-grapefruits-I-had-all-season. Sure enough? They’re from Florida – because that’s where the best grapefruits come from.
My mid-day snack is usually a grapefruit, and I enjoy them in baked goods (try using grapefruit in these cookies instead of the orange). But I also enjoy them in salads – and this is my new favorite way to have my grapefruit. The flavor of the grapefruit in the grilled chicken is out of this world (use it as a grilled chicken marinade even if you aren’t making the rest of the salad!) and the candied nuts are the perfect compliment to the sweet and slightly tart flavors of the salad. Serve it to 6-8 people as an appetizer, or to about 4-5 people as a main. Either way, you’re going to love it!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup oil (I used canola)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or splenda (6 packets splenda)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 whole florida grapefruit, cut into segments, membranes removed
- ½ cup candied pecans, chopped
- Combine the oil, grapefruit juice, salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. Let it marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Grill or broil chicken on high for about 7-8 minutes per side, until cooked through. Set aside while preparing salad.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Combine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and grapefruit segments in a bowl.
- Dice or slice the chicken and add to the bowl. Add the dressing and nuts.
- Toss until everything is evenly distributed. Enjoy immediately.
Note: For the grapefruit juice, I used fresh squeezed. The juice in the dressing and marinade together is about half a grapefruit worth of juice.
Tools needed for this recipe:
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Make sure to follow me on your preferred social media channels to stay updated on all the latest recipes!
Thanks for stopping by folks – I hope you love this salad as much as I did! Please make sure to come back soon! -Miriam
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. This post contains affiliate link(s), which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.