Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing is the healthy and delicious way to enjoy summer grilling and fresh produce!
I’ve been planning this salad for over a year now.
I know. It sounds crazy. Who spends a year planning a salad? Granted, I did do one or two other things during that year, but I kept thinking about this salad and planning it until it was making me very hungry all the time. (Fine. I’ll admit that there may have been other things making me hungry, but still.) I guess I was waiting for a good time to make it – a special occasion worthy of trying out a salad this amazing.
The chance presented itself when my sister invited me to her house for the holiday of Shavuos. She asked if I could make my famous steak salad (oh wait. I’ve never shared that recipe here either? Man, I’ve been a bad blogger!) and I told her I’d be making a grilled chicken salad instead. She sounded a little bit disappointed, but I reassured her that this salad wasn’t “a chicken salad” but rather, “The chicken salad.”
Let’s just say that this recipe didn’t disappoint. In fact, my brother, who was at the meal where The Salad was served, called me a couple of days later for the recipe. I already posted the salad dressing recipe for this, but today’s your lucky day when I’ll be sharing the whole thing. From the grilled chicken and corn, right down to those omg-awesome crispy tortilla strips. You’re welcome.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken cutlets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 ears corn on the cob, husked and cleaned
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8-12 ounces romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 batch of creamy avocado dressing (click link for recipe)
- 4-6 small flour or corn tortillas or wraps
- oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients and toss to coat all chicken evenly.
- Grill over medium heat on a grill, grill pan or broiler for 8-10 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. Do not over cook! Set aside.
- Drizzle oil, salt and pepper over the corn and mushrooms. Grill on medium/high for 6-8 minutes per side. Corn should be slightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the tortillas/wraps in strips, about half an inch wide.
- Heat the oil on a medium flame. Check that the oil is hot enough by dipping a strip in - the oil will bubble when it's hot enough.
- Fry the strips for 30 seconds to a minute per side, until crispy and browned.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside to cool.
- Cut the grilled chicken and portobello mushrooms into cubes and place in a large salad bowl.
- Cut the kernels off of the corn on the cob and place in bowl.
- Add the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and scallions.
- Pour about half of the dressing onto the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste.
- Top salad with crispy tortilla strips.
1) You can skip the Portobello mushrooms as I did the first time I made it, if you don’t like/have them on hand. It’s still gonna be awesome.
2) If you don’t want to go to the extra work of frying the tortillas, you can use tortilla chips, pita chips, crackers or even croutons.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love:
To make this recipe indoors and year round, you’ll need a grill pan.
Thanks for stopping by folks! Come back soon – I’ve got your new favorite dessert coming up here! -Miriam P.S. My facebook page is so close to five thousand likes – will you be number 5000?