Sweet Potato Cupcakes topped with Maple Marshmallow Frosting are flavorful, moist and so unique!
***Before we start – have you signed up for my email newsletters? You’ll get new recipes, cooking tips, menu suggestions, kitchen deals – and more! Click here to signup.***
You know how people argue over whether the traditional thanksgiving sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows is too sweet for a side dish? Or maybe topping a casserole with candies isn’t considered sophisticated enough cuisine for today’s average consumer, aka food snob.
Personally, I don’t see the problem. Too sweet for a side dish? Uh, hello. Dessert. Duh. So simple, right?
Enter these phenomenal cupcakes. Sweet potato, topping with marshmallow. Unmistakably thanksgiving. Unmistakably dessert. Unmistakably delicious.
PS: did you think sweet potatoes and baking don’t work together? Think again! They are delicious and go perfectly with the spices generally associated with fall baking. If you don’t have sweet potatoes on hand though, feel free to sub canned pumpkin. Either way, you definitely want to try these!
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (from about 2 medium sweet potatoes)*
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat together the oil and egg for a couple of minutes until combined and slightly thickened.
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder. Beat to combine. Add the sweet potato puree and beat to combine.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour. Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling the cups about ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool completely before frosting.
- *Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 for about an hour. Set aside to cool. Remove the skin and mash the sweet potato.
And don’t forget the frosting!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) margarine
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together the margarine and marshmallow fluff until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the frosting over the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
- To pipe the frosting high like I did in the picture, you will need to double the frosting recipe. Pipe it with a large star tip, such as a wilton 1M.
Like these? You’ll love the following:
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbook!
It also makes a great gift! Click here to purchase Something
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Hope your week is going superbly! Enjoy the cupcakes! PS – don’t forget to enter the cookbook giveaway that I have going on now! And come back soon for more amazing treats! -Miriam