Flavorful, moist and low fat – three great reasons to enjoy these Hawaiian Chicken Burgers!
Ladies and gentlemen! Step right up please and meet your newest favorite supper: The Hawaiian Chicken Burger!
I’ve been dreaming of Hawaiian Chicken Burgers for, oh, about a year now. I’ve made variations of it before (see my instagram profile from about a year ago!) but finally perfected this recipe. And now I can share it with you. Let me tell you - ground chicken can get pretty dried out in the cooking process, but not when you add all the good stuff that this recipe has. These burgers are moist and full of flavor. Plus they’re easy, which I know is so important to all of you. Grill some veggies to add to your burger, and you’ve got a whole meal. What could be better than that?
I’ll tell you what could be better. A healthy supper. Oh wait! Did I mention that these burgers are lower fat than traditional ones (thanks to using chicken instead of beef)? I also used a low-sugar teriyaki sauce to cut down on calories and sugar. Then I served it on whole wheat rolls*, loaded up my burgers with veggies, and felt really good about what I was eating.
*Funny story – the whole wheat bread tasted great with these, but photographed terribly. So I actually schlepped out to the grocery store and bought white rolls just for the photo-shoot. It’s the kind of thing you get used to doing when you’re a food photographer. Next time you look at pictures of food in a magazine, newspaper or blog, appreciate the work that goes into making such beautiful images!
- 1½ lb ground dark chicken
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons minced dried onions
- ½ cup bread crumbs (I used whole wheat)
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 large red onion, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons crushed pineapple
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hamburger buns
- Teriyaki sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix to combine. Form into 8 patties and set aside.
- Slice the vegetables into slices about ½ an inch. Place in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over vegetable slices. Toss to coat the veggies is the sauce.
- Grill (or fry in a skillet) the burgers over a medium flame for about 5-8 minutes per side, until cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Grill the vegetables for about 5 minutes per side, until tender.
- Spread teriyaki sauce on the buns. Place grilled vegetables on the bun, top with a burger then more veggies.
- Serve hot.
*Note about the veggies: you can switch it up, using whatever veggies you like and/or have on hand. Portobello mushrooms would be delicious with this, as would yellow squash, or even a slice of pineapple!
Thanks for stopping by folks! I hope you all try these fabulous burgers – I know you’ll love them! Come back soon for more yumminess! -Miriam