Grilled Chicken Shawarma salad is a delicious and flavorful meal!
As you all know, I’m working super hard on my cookbook right now, and barely have a second for working on recipes for you guys here on the blog. But I don’t want to leave you guys lacking for new and delicious food to make, so I am thrilled to have some of my blog buddies stepping up to share some guest posts until I wrap it up. Today, I am so excited to introduce my friend Chanie from Busy in Brooklyn.
If you aren’t yet familiar with Chanie’s blog, you’re about to discover a wealth of amazing and gourmet kosher recipes! Chanie’s recipes range from fun treats like Drunken Hasselback Salami, to creative twists like her Vegetarian Chili and Cornbread and foodie creations like Persimmon Guacamole. Check out Busy in Brooklyn today for a ton of innovative new recipes. But first – here’s her amazing Grilled Chicken Shawarma Salad!
- 1.5-2 lbs. dark meat chicken cutlets
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons shawarma spice (use a spice blend or this homemade recipe)
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pkg romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 bag shredded red cabbage
- 1 jar Israeli pickles, roughly chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tahini paste (stir thoroughly before using, as oil and solids tend to separate)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tsp harissa, optional
- Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag with 2 tbsp olive oil and shawarma spice and mix until well-coated. Marinate for 30 minutes (or overnight).
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet and saute the onions until caramelized. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing. In a bowl, mix the tahini, water, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, salt and harissa. Whisk until emulsified.
- When ready to grill, preheat the grill (or grill pan) until hot and place the chicken on it. Grill for about 6-8 minutes per side, until cooked through. Alternatively, broil the chicken under high heat for 6-8 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
- Spread the lettuce out on a platter and top with cabbage, pickles, sauteed onions and chickpeas. Dice the grilled chicken and spread it out over the salad. Drizzle with tahini dressing and enjoy!
- Feel free to add some diced roasted eggplant, chopped cucumbers, tomatoes or pita chips, for some added crunch.
Needed for this recipe:
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Make sure to follow me on your preferred social media channels to stay updated on all the latest recipes!
Thanks for stopping by! I’m sure you’ll love this salad, and come back soon for more amazing recipes! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.