Roasted Red Pepper Dip is easy to make, is healthy and the perfect party dip!
Raise your hand if you love dips. Shabbat challah and dips go together like…peanut butter and jelly? My personal favorite has always been hummus. I like the dips full of mayo too, like creamy basil dip or creamy eggplant dip. But then I went on my diet, and couldn’t quite indulge in endless amounts of hummus or mayo based dips. (Who should, really? So calorie dense!)
So I started making my mom’s old classic – roasted red pepper dip! Here’s the thing though. I grew up enjoying it, not as a healthy dip, but just as one that my siblings and I enjoyed. It wasn’t until I was an adult on a diet that I realized how healthy this recipe is compared to most dips! It’s basically blended veggies, which means it’s a freebee on Start Fresh (just reduce the oil, or if you don’t, count it as a fat selection too.)
Once I realized that this dip is so easy to make, and so healthy, I totally started eating it on things other than challah. Try dipping fresh pepper sticks in it, or toss it with some whole wheat pasta…it’s awesome and versatile and you should all make it. Soon.
- 4 red peppers
- 1 large onion or 3 shallots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (reduce as necessary for your diet)
- 1½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the peppers into quarters and remove the seeds. Place on the tray with the onion and garlic. Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 425 for 45-50 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the tops of the peppers are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place all ingredients – including the oil from the pan – into a food processor. Blend for a couple of minutes until totally smooth.
- Store this in the fridge for a few days, up to a week. Beyond that, you can freeze it.
Looking for more dips? Check out these delicious options:
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbook!
It also makes a great gift! Click here to purchase Something
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for coming by! I hope you enjoy this dip – and come back soon – I’ve got one of my most popular desserts EVER to share with you! – Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.