Do you receive the Overtime Cook email newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips, menus and more! Click here to sign up. P.S – it’s completely free!
If you’re the kind of person who (like my family!) thinks that the super sweet apple kugels frequently served at Shabbos and holiday meals are more of a dessert than a side dish, here’s the perfect compromise. These sweet and savory apple kugel muffins are perfectly balanced – sweet apples, savory caramelized onions, and just the right blend of spices.
These are a freezer-friendly side dish that’s going to be a huge hit with your family and friends.
Did you know that I share cooking demos, menu plans, giveaways, and lots more exclusive content on Instagram?
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and shredded
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
1. Prepare the caramelized onions: Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add onions and salt. Cool, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften.
2. Add brown sugar and stir to combine.
3. Turn heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, preferably 40 or more, until the onions are deeply caramelized. Set aside to cool.
4. Prepare the batter: preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin pan VERY well with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
5. combine all batter ingredients in a large bowl. Add cooled onions. Stir to combine.
6. Fill each cup of the muffin pan with batter (fill it all the way).
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and golden brown.
Plan ahead: these kugels freeze really well. Defrost then reheat uncovered until warmed through.
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbooks!
They also make a great gift!
Click here to purchase Something Sweet.
Click here to purchase Real Life Kosher Cooking
Click here to purchase More Real Life Kosher Cooking
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for visiting! I hope you love these muffins as much as we do! – Miriam
Disclosure: OvertimeCook.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.