This Stone Fruit Cornmeal Cake is bursting with fresh summer fruits and flavors, and is so easy to make!
***Before we start – have you signed up for my email newsletters? You’ll get new recipes, cooking tips, menu suggestions, kitchen deals – and more! Click here to signup.***
How happy are you that summer is finally here? Ok, that’s a trick question, because there’s not really any answer except, “very!” I mean, the brutal winter we had in New York this year felt like it would never end (okay, okay, I know I’ve mentioned this before, but let me have this). My hatred of snow reached new heights, and pretty much the only good thing that happened this winter was that the blizzard never actually turned into the doomsday that the weathermen were predicting.
But let’s leave all of that behind us now, and talk about how summer if finally here. Long days, lots of sunshine, relaxing on the beach (hah! I wish!) are all great, but let’s be real for a minute. The real thing we all love about summer is the food! Grilling pretty much makes everything better. Add in s’mores, cold refreshing drinks, and of course, the amazing produce.
You know what I’m talking about. Things like basil, which are awesome all year, but delicious and plentiful now. Things like corn on the cob, which is just amazing and sweet during the summer months. And things like blueberries, which are juicy and so readily available right now.
And things like stone fruits. You know what I’m talking about! Peaches, plums, nectarines. All so delicious, juicy and dripping down your chin. You’re all bound to find yourselves with an abundance of them over the coming months, so you’ll be especially happy to have bookmarked this recipe. It’s easy to make, seasonal, and absolutely delicious.
- 2 cups diced stone fruit (about 2 large or 3 medium fruits), choose from peaches, plums and nectarines
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup soymilk
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch cake pan very well and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar and brown sugar, baking powder and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, followed by half the milk, followed by the cornmeal, then the remaining milk. Beat until just combined.
- Pour about a third of the batter into the greased pan. Spread the fruit mixture evenly across the top. Pour the remaining batter over the top, carefully covering all of the fruit.
- Place in the oven and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, until the top is set.
- Set aside to cool before removing from the pan.
Tools needed for this recipe:
If you liked this post, you’ll also love:
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the cake, and come back soon for more delicious food – and a big cookbook update! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.