The perfect summer side dish: Orzo Salad with Roasted Summer Vegetables – it’s light and easy to make and absolutely delicious!
***Before we start – have you signed up for my email newsletters? You’ll get new recipes, cooking tips, menu suggestions, kitchen deals – and more! Click here to signup.***
Wow, it’s been a while! Things have been on the quiet side here on this blog, with some guest posts, a few really helpful roundups, and some quick and easy recipes. But I’ve been racing down the home stretch, getting my cookbook finished, and barely had a minute to cook, much less share a brand-new, recipe with you here. But finally, things have slowed down, my cookbook has been completed and sent off to the printer, and I am back in the kitchen – cooking things that aren’t going into my cookbook! I know, it’s shocking to me too – I wasn’t sure if I even remembered how to cook anymore! (Ok, not really, but you know what I mean…)
Anyway, I’m back with a new, seasonal recipe that you are all going to LOVE! It started on Friday, before Tishah B’av, when I wanted to make orzo salad to eat before the fast. I was going to make this one, but it’s got all kinds of (very delicious) fall flavors, like butternut squash, and I figured I could make something more seasonal. So I roasted some zucchini, some tomatoes and corn, and the end result was fabulous.
Note that while I served this cold (the next day) as a salad, you can serve it warm, as soon as the orzo cooks and veggies are roasted, as a more traditional side dish. Either way, it’s a really fabulous way to enjoy the summer flavors!
- 3 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels shaved off
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or red wine, or balsamic works)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 5 cups cooked orzo (about ½ lb raw)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 frozen basil cubes OR 4 teaspoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sweetener, optional
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, tomatoes and corn. Add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss to coat everything evenly.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring half way through. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine roasted vegetables, cooked orzo, avocado and dressing. Toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.
Oh, were you wanting a cookbook update? OF COURSE you’re going to get one! Y’all have been so patient, and I’m so excited to give you a mega update! I’ll give you some sneak peaks of the book, the first look at the cover, a chance to pre-order, and maybe some giveaways! How does that sound to you?! Oh, and of course I’ll share a sample recipe or two, so stay tuned!
Tools needed for this recipe:
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Thanks for stopping by folks! I’m sure you’ll love this salad, but make sure to come back soon for major cookbook updates! -Miriam
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that a small percentage of every purchase made through that link goes to help support this blog.