Muenster Mac and Cheese with Herbed Breadcrumbs is a flavorful twist on a traditional comfort food!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group!
There’s nothing quite like a really delicious mac and cheese, especially this one, which has delicious buttery breadcrumbs with herbs for some extra flavor.
Do you receive the Overtime Cook newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips and deals and more!
Click here to signup.
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cubes frozen basil OR 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cubes frozen parsley OR 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Muenster Cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked to "al dente" according to package directions
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, salt and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Add breadcrumbs and stir together until the butter is evenly distributed. The crumbs should have a texture like wet sand. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for a minute or two, whisking often, until the mixture starts turning golden brown.
- Add salt, parsley and mustard powder. Whisk until combined.
- Add half the milk, then whisk until combined. Continue to cook for about a minute or two, until the mixture thickens.
- Add the rest of the milk and repeat the previous step.
- Add cheese to the milk mixture and cook, stirring often, for about five minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add cooked pasta and stir until all pasta is coated in the cheese mixture.
- Pour pasta into the prepared baking pan and top with prepared crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until the crumbs turn golden brown and the cheese bubbles around the edges.
- Freeze fully cooked Mac and Cheese, wrapped well. Reheat uncovered at 350 until cooked through.
Tools Needed for This Recipe:
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also love:
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbook!
It also makes a great gift! Click here to purchase Something
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for visiting! Come back soon for more shavuos recipes! -Miriam