Fully Loaded Schnitzel Sandwiches are just the kind of dinner that you’r family will love – and you’ll go back to again and again!
Do you receive the Overtime Cook email newsletter? It’s full of recipes, kitchen tips, menus and more! Click here to sign up. P.S – it’s completely free!
There’s a version of this sandwich in every fleishig takeout spot, and it’s always super popular – for good reason! Warning, once you make it at home, you may never look at the takeout version the same way ever again!
Did you know that I share cooking demos, menu plans, giveaways, and lots more exclusive content on Instagram?
- 4 chicken cutlets, cut in half along the width
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown or deli mustard
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- ½ cup corn flake crumbs
- ½ cup bread crumbs
Maple Mustard Dip:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 Tablespoons spicy brown or deli mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 baguettes
- 1 lb frozen onion rings, cooked according to package directions
- 6 ounces sliced pastrami, heated (see note)
- Cole slaw
- Prepare the schnitzel: Toss chicken with flour to coat each piece. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, mayo, mustard and maple syrup until combined. Add to bowl with chicken and mix until each piece is fully coated in egg mixture.
- In a medium bowl, stir together corn flake and bread crumbs. Tip each piece of chicken into crumb mixture, pressing to ensure it’s fully coated.
- - To bake the schnitzel: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper spray with a generous amount of non-stick cooking spray, and place coated chicken on it, then top with another layer of cooking spray. Bake for 9 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- To fry the schnitzel: heat oil over medium heat. Fry on each side until golden brown, crispy, and cooked through.
- Prepare the Maple Mustard Dip: combine all ingredients in a small bowl or container. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Assemble sandwiches: Slice a baguette in half lengthwise. Spread maple mustard dip on both sides. Place two pieces of schnitzel on the bottom half, top with cole slaw, hot pastrami, and a row of onion rings. Note: The easiest way to heat pastrami is to wrap it in parchment paper and microwave it for a minute. You can also wrap it in foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes, until heated throughTop with the remaining half of bread. For best results, roll sandwich in a sheet of parchment paper to hold it together while eating, as the sandwich will be very full! Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
The easiest way to heat pastrami is to wrap it in parchment paper and microwave it for a minute. You can also wrap it in foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes, until heated through
Plan Ahead: Components can be prepared 1-2 days ahead of time. Sandwiches should be assembled fresh.
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbooks!
Click here to purchase Something Sweet.
Click here to purchase Real Life Kosher Cooking
Click here to purchase More Real Life Kosher Cooking
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for visiting! Enjoy this sandwich and come back soon for more! – Miriam
Disclosure: OvertimeCook.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.